Thursday, June 11, 2009

Hello from Africa

Hello everyone!

It has been a couple of hectic days here in South Africa. On Tuesday I flew from Cape Town to Johannesburg, South Africa. We have an office here and several projects. We spend Tuesday afternoon in the Pretoria office and catching up with the people who work there. I stayed at the same 10 room hotel where I stayed last year during my training course. The same guys were working, the same dogs sleeping on the same couch, and I even stayed in the same room. It was good to see those guys again and the remembered me from the last visit. On Wednesday we woke up early and drove to a gold mine about two hours outside of Joberg. We visited the clients and rigs and then came back to spend some time working with Wayne, our Southern Africa Safety Manager. We went to a African restaurant for dinner called Chief Boma’s. They had African drum players and all sorts of game steaks and other local food.

Today I woke up and spent a few hours with our General Manager reviewing our systems and determining how we should proceed on a few things. He dropped me off at the airport and I am on the plane flying to Dar es Salaam, Tanzania. I will be spending the night here and then have a six AM flight to Mwanza in the morning. I am not sure how reliable the communication will be in Tanzania so if I cannot update the blog for a few days I apologize.

I love you all and I am excited that we are now on the downhill slide. I will be home in 8 days and I am counting down the time!

Love,

Ben

No comments: