Friday, August 14, 2009

We made it to Canada









We finally made it! Hurray. We left early Monday morning (12:50 a.m. to be exact) and landed in Atlanta at 6:30 a.m. and was welcomed by my sister Melissa and my new little niece Emma! Thanks Melissa for making such an effort to come see us, I am sure it was a lot of work, but we appreciate the visit even if it was short! We met Emma for the first time and she was an absolute doll, and the kids enjoyed sharing a cinnamon roll with her!


After a long long night on the plane, we arrived in Portland Maine, where our car transport guy was waiting with both of our cars. After resting in Bangor, we headed towards the border after a final, sad, goodbye trip to Target, where we bought a much needed GPS unit and then headed to customs. After about 3 hours, we walked out with immigration stamps and a work permit for me, and two cars legally imported to Canada. What a pain.

We made it to Moncton and checked into our temporary house called the Marriott Residence Inn, room 602. The kids think they have died and gone to heaven, with our two bedroom suite, unlimited Wii, a pool, breakfast buffet, someone to make their beds, and view of the "Chocolate River" (the one that goes in and out depending on the oceans tide). Boy are they going to be in for a rude awaking when we have to cook our own meals, do our own dishes, and make our own beds.

We have been busy working out all the details, like opening bank accounts, getting cars registered, new drivers licences, new cell phones and sign up for Medicare. I am sure the kids will be grateful for not having to stand in lines with us as we discuss what internet options we want, give out vin numbers or hand over a collection of passports.

I went grocery shopping the other day whiched proved to be more difficult than expected. I need a crash course in French so I can read labels and isle names. I just need peanut butter and jelly, is that too much to ask?

We are learning a lot about the Country. We figure that our coin jar is going to be worth more than in the states, since we are not use to holding on to 1 and 2 dollar coins. (which for some odd reason they call lunies and tunies) I still have no idea why the queen of England has a role in the goverment is nor do I know who the prime minister is, but they gave me a licence, and I am going to be eligable to get "free" health care. (You pay enough taxes they should let us do anything, right?)

We had our only taste of home last night as we went to Costco to get a membership, bought diapers and wipes, and ate a hot dog and Diet Coke. We felt like that was the only thing normal we did all week. That is sad.

We drove past our new house yesterday and are getting anxious to have our own space back. Hopefully things go as planned and we get sometime early next week.

We love all of you, and miss you sooo much.

3 comments:

Natalie said...

I am so glad you have this blog - so that even though you are 3,000 miles away - I can pretend you are still just down the street! Sounds like you had an adventurous time. Glad you made is safely over the border! Can't wait to hear what more about your Canadian life!

Myrna said...

We are so glad that you made it safe and sound. Can't wait to hear more about your adventures. I will be in Nova Scotia in Nov., maybe we will see you then.
-Myrna
PS: They are called Loonies because there is a picture of a loon on the back of the coin. They are called Toonies because they are worth $2 and it rhymes with Loonie. lol

Melissa said...

We were glad to come and see you guys off and meet Aubrey. My older kids claim that Aubrey wasn't saying Mom or Melanie when she says "Ma". They say ist emMA that she is trying to say, just like Emma says Ba alot for auBrey. Too bad we aren't closer for the girls to get to know each other.